Monday, January 7, 2008

Who is your Delicious Hero?





The barbaric heathen stood over her, one lean muscled leg on each side of her barely covered hips. Ariel shuddered as her gaze wandered over the lean hips covered by his belted tunic, upward to his broad chest, and across to the beautiful carved dragon coils wrapped around his arms. Arms so powerful they could certainly break a man in two. The golden coils could not be outdone by his beautiful golden locks, which framed his devastatingly handsome face. A hearty laugh broke her concentration and she quickly averted her eyes, but only for a moment. If he knew what she was thinking, then this was her was her chance to be bold and turn the tables to her favor. She slowly raised her eyes to meet his, offering the beautiful man a challenge that no man could refuse...........

When creating the perfect tantalizing hero for your heroine, do you use a “role model”? Someone from your own life, perhaps someone you admire from afar, or do you write from pure desire and fantasy? My Heros have always come from people I have known in my own life. At first I could not think of a better way to create characters. I already know who they are, and I know how they will behave in certain situations. I know their likes and dislikes, strengths and weaknesses. Since it is my story I can exaggerate a bit and change things here and there. Or can I?

In my current story I have patterned my hero after my super hunky hubby. This being said, he is greatly flattered up to a point. That point being when we start to understand our Hero’s flaws and conflicts. Then it unwittingly and unfortunately becomes quite personal. “But, I would never do that”.....To which the correct answer is “Oh, it is just fiction!” ah-hum, make sure your crossed fingers are well hidden. He likes that he is the hero, but he is a little dismayed as to why I have changed him from a ultra-running Italian-American to a brawny Scotsman with a heavy burr. “Writing for the masses, remember Sweetie?” I say stroking his chest while attempting to stroke his ego.

Perhaps it would be easier to choose a friend or a relative? A relative would not work very well as a hero, unless of course incest is acceptable in your family. Just Kidding! It would not work for me, as I am too visual and I don’t want to see my brother, cousin, father, uncle-twice-removed in any kind of intimate romantic moment. For a single gal, the friend or past boyfriend Hero may be the perfect model. For an old married gal like myself, you are just opening up a can of man-eating worms, with very sharp teeth.

Picture this, you are sharing your first real love scene of the story with your significant other who has volunteered to be an unbiased proofreader. He begins to shift in his chair, then his face turns a slight blush, the pages are starting to crimp from his tight hold, and the red pen is flying all over the page. “How could I have made that many grammatical errors?”, you think to yourself. Then, the Icing on the cake, the insecure blow-up: “Is this about ______?” (You fill in the blank). You know what the correct answer is, don’t you? “I had you in mind when I wrote all the good parts, honey. All the bad parts are just a figment of my imagination.” (Most especially the really, really bad parts!)

Perhaps I can get him to wear a kilt.

No comments: